History of the Wars Occasioned by the French Revolution 1815-1816
The Complete Suite of "Exquisite Plates"
NICHOLSON, William. History of the Wars Occasioned by the French Revolution... London: Richard Evans Whites Row Spitalfields, 1815-16.
First edition, plate album. Oblong folio (9 1/4 x 15 in; 235 x 383 mm). Twenty-two hand-colored and stub-mounted engraved plates including frontispiece, dates imprinted May 18, May 31, June 16, June 30, July 29, August 11, October 10, Nov., Dec. 1, 1815; and (no day/month) 1816.
In a sumptuous Napoleonic-style unsigned French binding (by Alivon?) of contemporary full deep purple straight-grained morocco with the initial "N" in each upper corner and elaborately gilt-rolled and blind-rolled borders enclosing a gilt-tooled frame and central, richly gilt lozenge to both covers. Spine compartments with gilt stars, open dots, rosettes, corner fleurons, and central "wheel;" tool used at spine foot identical to one identified elsewhere as by French binder Alivon. Unusually gilt-tooled turn-ins with lushly gilt foliate border on green silk doublures. Slight rubbing along joints and at corners, faint text offsets to some plates. Otherwise an internally clean and fine copy.
A complete suite of the "exquisite plates" (per full title) extracted from Nicholson's 583 page opus of the same name, originally published by Evans in 1816. Not in Abbey or Tooley.
1. Britannia, Crowned by Victory... [frontispiece].
2. Napoleon Bonaparte, Emperor of France. May 31, 1815.
3. Alexander 1st. Emperor of all the Russias... May 18, 1815. [Charles] Canton, del et sculp.
4. His Royal Highness, The Prince Regent of Great Britain. June 16, 1815.
5. Count Platoff, Hetman of the Cossacks. August 11, 1815.
6. Wm. Fred. King of Prussia. May 18, 1815. [Charles] Canton, del et sculp.
7. Field Marshall Von Blucher, Prince of Wagstadt. June 30, 1815.
8. The Duke of Wellington. June 29, 1815.
9. Lieut. General Sir Thos. Picton. Octr. 1815.
10. Lieut. General Lord Hill, K.B. Octr. 10, 1815. Meyron, del., [John] Romney, sculp.
11. Francis 2d Emperor of Austria. May 18, 1815.
12. His Royal Highness The Duke Of York. May 18, 1815. [Charles] Canton, del et sculp.
13. Lieut. General The Marquis Of Anglesea. Nov. 1815.
14. Lieut. General Sir John Moore, K.B. Dec. 1, 1815.
15. Field Marshall Prince Swartzenburgh. 1816. Meyron, del, [John] Romney, sculp.
16. Lieut. Genl. Sir Ralph Abercrombie. 1816,
17. The Battle of Waterloo. 1816. Engravd by [John] Romney, from a Painting by Heath.
18. Lieut. Genl. Sir Eire Coote K.B.K.C.&M.P. 1816.
19. Lieut. Genl. Lord Linedock. 1816.
20. Bernadotte Crown Prince of Sweden. 1816.
21. The Prince Of Saxe Cobourg. 1816.
22. The Prince of Orange. 1816.
(To order this item, or for more information, please call 818-222-4103)