History of the University of Cambridge, Its Colleges, Halls, and Public Buildings, A

Complete with the Portraits of the Founders

ACKERMANN, R[udolph]. A History of the University of Cambridge, Its Colleges, Halls, and Public Buildings. London: Printed for R. Ackermann, by L. Harrison and J.C. Leigh, 1815.

First edition. Two large quarto volumes (13 3/16 x 10 7/8 inches; 334 x 275 mm.). viii, [2, list of plates], [ix]-xii, 296, [6, index]; [4], 324, [8, index] pp. Engraved portrait of the Duke of Gloucester and seventy-nine hand-colored plates (sixty-four aquatint views and fifteen engravings of university figures in academic costume) by Stadler, Havell, Agar, Bluck, Hill, and Reeve after Pugin, Westall, Mackenzie, Uwins, and Pyne. Complete with the series of sixteen hand-colored engraved portraits of the Founders. Plates watermarked 1812.

Contemporary half red roan over marbled boards. Spines decorated in gilt with two black leather labels lettered in gilt. Joints a little rubbed, but still an excellent copy with early watermarks.

“The fine aquatints, with their somewhat old-world flavour, are well suited to reproduce the spirit and to recall the antique associations of the old quads and courts” (Prideaux).

Abbey, Scenery, 79-80. Prideaux, pp. 125-126 and 332. Tooley 4. Item #00332

Out of stock

See all items by