London: Published by William Sams, 1824. Item #02639
In the Original Boards
SAMS, William. A Tour Through Paris. London: William Sams, 1824.
First edition. Oblong folio (9 7/8 x 13 in; 250 x 333 mm). Hand-colored engraved title-page and twenty-one hand-colored aquatint plates with accompanying unpaginated text to each. Plates watermarked 1824.
Original printed boards with vignette reproducing that on title-page but uncolored, red roan spine and corners.
Some light smudging and spots to plate margins. Later green cloth dust jacket with gilt lettering.
A wonderful copy.
Published by printer-bookseller William Sams, of whom little is known, these beautifully designed and aquatinted prints of brilliant hue and warm saturation depict lively and diverse Parisian street scenes and interiors.
1. Procession of the Fete-Dieu.
2. The Charcoal Porters.
3. A Corps de Garde of the Garde Nationale.
4. The Meridian of the Palais Royal.
5. Promenade of Her Serene Highness the Duchess of Berri....
6. The Flower-Market.
7. La Morgue.
8. The Juggler of the Chateau d'Eau.
9. Military Degradation.
10. Itinerants on the Boulevards.
11. Street Characters.
12. Chamber of Deputies.
13. The Catacombs.
14. Porters and Fishwomen Revelling Round the Statue of Henry IV.
15. Parisians Reading the Public Prints in the Garden of the Tuilleries.
16. Interior of a Swimming School.
17. Office for Nurses.
18. Dancers on Stilts in the Shams-Elysées.
19. The Blind Man of the Pont des Arts.
20. The Voitures of Versailles.
21. Distribution of Wine on the Morning of St. Louis.
Abbey, Travel, 113. Colas, 2898. Lipperheide, 1187. Tooley, 443.