ALKEN, Henry. Hunting Recollections. London: R. Ackermann, 1 January 1829.
First edition. Oblong folio (14 1/8 x 16 7/8 inches; 360 x 427 mm.). Six fine hand-coloured etched plates, all heightened with gum arabic, and window-mounted in an album. Plate size approximately 10 1/4 x 13 inches. Bound without the letterpress title. Some very light browning and dust soiling to plate margins, the fourth plate with a small closed tear outside plate mark. Still a very fine set with the plates particularly well colored.
Bound ca. 1930 at the Lakeside Press Chicago (stamp signed on rear turn-in) in quarter brown morocco over light green buckram boards ruled in gilt. Front cover with rectangular green morocco label ruled and lettered in gilt. Spine with four raised bands, ruled and lettered in gilt in compartments, green morocco title label. Housed in the original fleece-lined, light green buckram slipcase. With the bookplate of Joel Spitz on the front paste-down.
Provenance: C.F.G.R. Schwerdt (purchased from his collection 15 March 1939).
The Schwerdt set "This set is particularly well coloured. Siltzer, p.63, only gives details of the 1836 issue." (Schwerdt).
Each plate has the series title "Hunting Recollections" engraved above the subject. The 'recollections' are actually the hunting witticisms which are recorded below each plate.
Excessively rare with no copies at auction and none found in institutions worldwide.
1. "Essex to wit." (January 1st, 1829).
2. "There. I thought how 'twou'd be __ that e're Lord ha'n't half devil enough in him." (January 1st, 1829).
3. "Push en sharp __ at it my Lord __ there be a h__l of a ditch a t'other side." (January 1st, 1829).
4. "So much for your Pepper __ now I want it you turn out a top." (January 1st, 1829).
5. "Ware' _ Horse __D__n these Hot Horses _ they are seldom worth more than a bunch of dog's meat after a ten
minutes' burst." (January 1st, 1829).
6. "By the Lord Harry my Chestnut Horse can almost fly." (January 1st, 1829).
Schwerdt III, p. 4 (this copy; Mellon/Snelgrove 31; Siltzer p. 63 (1836 reissue only); Not in Tooley. Item #03352
Out of stock