Edinburgh: John Grant, 1924. Item #04743
The Full Brontë
Handsomely Bound in Three-Quarter Red Calf
BRONTË, Charlotte, Emily, and Anne. Novels of the Sisters Brontë. Edited by Temple Scott. Edinburgh: John Grant, 1924.
Thornton Edition. Twelve octavo volumes (8 1/8 x 5 1/2 inches; 205 x 140 mm.). Frontispieces and plates. Half-titles and title-pages printed in red and black.
Handsomely bound ca. 1960 by [Rivière] for Henry Sotheran in three-quarter red calf over red cloth boards ruled in blind. Spines decoratively tooled in gilt in compartments, two blue and green morocco lettering labels, top edge gilt, marbled endpapers. Seven of the green spine labels are faded, otherwise near fine.
A finely bound and very attractive set of this beautifully printed edition.
Contents: 'Jane-Eyre' (2 volumes); 'Shirley' (2 volumes); 'Villette' (2 volumes); 'The Professor'; 'Wuthering Heights'; 'Agnes Grey'; 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall' (2 volumes); Gaskell's 'Life of Charlotte Brontë'.
The Thornton Edition was first published in 1905.
Thornton, is a village on the outskirts of Bradford, West Yorkshire, and is best known as being the birthplace of the Brontës. "Patrick Bronte, his wife Maria and their two children, Maria and Elizabeth moved to the parsonage at Thornton Bradford on the 15th May 1815. They stayed there until 1820, moving to the parsonage at Haworth. Charlotte (1816), Emily (1818), Anne (1820) and Branwell (1817) were all born there" (www.haworth-village.org.uk/brontes/thornton).