Paris: Bauger & Cie. Imp. d'Aubert & Cie., 1850. Item #05084
The Women of Paris
Thirty Fine Hand-Colored Plates by Alfred André Geniole
GÉNIOLE, Alfred André. Les Femmes de Paris. Paris: Bauger & Cie., Imp. d'Aubert & Cie., .
First edition. Folio (13 5/8 x 10 3/8 inches; 346 x 264 mm.). Thirty fine lithograph plates of which twenty-two are in full color and heightened with gum arabic.
The plates beautifully depict the women of Paris going about their daily duties in their different professions.
Bound by Richard Smart in early nineteenth century style modern full dark green straight-grain morocco. Covers elaborately bordered and decorated in gilt, spine with five raised bands decoratively tooled and lettered in gilt in compartments, green marbled paste-downs and end-leaves.
Rare: OCLC locates just one copy in libraries and institutions worldwide: Morgan Library & Museum (NY, USA). From the library of Gordon N. Ray - with the bookplates of Michael Sadleir & Paul Gavault - plates in two states, colored and black & white. We also located one more complete set of thirty black & white lithographs in an Album Comique with 146 plates (including 116 color lithographs by Gavarni) which is held in the British Museum.
Alfred-André Géniole (1813-1861). Genre painter, portrait artist and lithographer. Géniole was a student of Antoine-Jean Gros, aka. Baron Gros (1771-1835). He started at the Salon de Paris in 1839 and contributed illustrations to Le Charivari (1841) and six plates for Les Français Peints par Eux-Mêmes… Paris: 1841-1843. He lived in Spain from 1848-1852 and painted many portraits of rural and urban fashion. He illustrated many works including Les Femmes de Paris which had thirty lithographed plates. The Fine Arts Museum of Mulhouse in Alsace retains many of his drawings.
1. La Femme Frèle (B&W)
2. L'Èlève du Conservatoire (Colored)
3. La Bonne (Colored)
4. Le Modèle (Colored)
5. La Marchnande a la Toilette (Colored)
6. La Blanchisseuse (B&W)
7. L’Habituée de la Chaumiére (Colored)
8. La Marchande du Coco (Colored)
9. La Modiste (Colored)
10. La Femme Comme il Faut (Colored)
11. La Couturiére (B&W)
12. La Bouquetière (Colored)
13. La Duchesse (Colored)
14. La Porteuse d’Eau (Colored)
15. L’Allumeuse de Reverbères (Colored)
16. La Chifonnière (Colored)
17. La Femme de l’Invalide (B&W)
18. La Figurante (Colored)
19. Une Artiste a l’Étude (Colored)
20. La Femme de Ménage (Colored)
21. L’Artiste du Cirque (B&W)
22. L’Habituée du Ranelagh (Colored)
23. La Lionne du Faubourg St. Germain (Colored)
24. La Portière (B&W)
25. La Lionne Littéraire (Colored)
26. La Lionne de la Chaussée d’Antin (Colored)
27. La Boulangère et sa Pratique (B&W)
28. La Marchande d’Oranges(Colored)
29. L’Ecaillère (B&W)
30. La Bonne d’Enfant (Colored).