London: Published by Thomas M'Lean, 1823. Item #01689
Alken's Rare Satire
Successfully Transplants Horse's Ass to Rider's Seat
ALKEN, Henry. Specimens of Riding Near London. Drawn from Life. London: Published by Thomas M'Lean,. Repository of Wit and Humour, No. 26, Haymarket, 1823.
Second edition. Oblong folio (8 3/4 x 12 3/4 in; 222 x 323 mm). Printed title and eighteen hand-colored engraved plates.
Late nineteenth century half red roan over red cloth boards, ruled in gilt. Rectangular red roan gilt lettering label, bordered in gilt on front board. Spine with two raised bands, paneled and lettered in gilt. Clean tear in the inside margin of the seventeenth plate (just touching image) expertly and almost invisibly repaired. A few other small marginal tears neatly repaired. Some very minor marginal spotting or soiling to the margins but still a near fine copy. Plates watermarked 1821 and 1822.
A work of great scarcity with only one copy of the first edition (1821) and only three copies of this, the second edition, coming to auction within the last thirty-five years. The last copy appeared over twenty-two years ago.
1. One of the comforts of riding in company. H. Alken 1821.
2. Symptoms of Things going downhill. H. Alken 1821.
3. The pleasure of riding in company. One would stop if the other Could. H. Alken 1821.
4. Preparing for the Easter Hunt (I shall be over Jack). H. Alken 1821.
5. The Consequences of having plenty of company on the Road. H. Alken 1821.
6. A thing of the last consequence. H. Alken 1821.
7. Delighted. S. Alken del et sc. Augt. 1, 1821.
8. Perfectly satisfied. S. Alken del et sc. Augt. 1, 1821.
9. Dissatisfied. S. Alken del et sc. Augt. 1, 1821.
10. Surprised. S. Alken del et sc. Augt. 1, 1821.
11. Displeased. S. Alken del et sc. Augt. 1, 1821.
12. Terrified. S. Alken del et sc. Augt. 1, 1821.
13. 'Taste - View near Knigtsbridge. (Bound as frontispiece). Drawn and Engraved by S. Alken Septr. 1, 1821.
14. Lords - View in Hyde Park. Oct. 1, 1821.
15. Yeomanry of England paying a visit. H. Alken del et sc. 1821.
16. Fancy - View near Grays Inn Road. Drawn and Engraved by S. Alken Septr. 1, 1821.
17. Folly - View near Acton. Drawn and Engraved by S. Alken Septr. 1, 1821.
18. Knights - View in the City Road. Oct. 1, 1821.