Lewes: Printed by W. and A. Lee, 1800. Item #04572
Ten Superb Hand-Colored Aquatint Plates Depicting Cattle & Sheep
SCOTT, Edmund. [Portraits of Prize Cattle & South Down Sheep] Proceedings of the Sussex Agricultural Society, from its Institution, to 1798, inclusive. Together with Engravings of the Prize Cattle for that Year, from Drawings made by Actual Measurement. By Edmund Scott, Miniature Painter, of Brighthelmston. Lewes: Printed by W. and A. Lee, (1800).
First edition. Folio (14 1/4 x 10 5/8 inches; 362 x 270 mm.). [vi], iv, 18, pp. Ten fine hand colored aquatint plates, six depicting cattle and four depicting sheep.
Publisher's gray paper wrappers, sewn as issued with original printed label on front cover. Minimal chipping to extremities, still very fine. Housed in a quarter black morocco over marbled paper boards clamshell case, spine with five raised bands. decoratively stamped in blind and lettered in gilt in compartments.
1. Mentor, Mr. Colgate's two year old Bull (Brighton, Nov. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
2. Waxey. Mr. John Ellman's three year old Bull. (Brighton, Pubd. Nov. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
3. Old Noble. Mr. Kingsnorth's nine year old Bull. (Brighton, Pubd. Nov. 15 1799).
4. Pink. Mr. Kingsworth's two year old Heifer. (Brighton, Nov. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
5. Mr. Gorringes' (of Westham) three year old Heifer. (Brighton, Nov. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
6. Speck & Speed two Oxen the Property of Mr. Carr. (Brighton, Pubd. Nov. 15 1799).
7. Mr. John Ellman's Ram & Ewe, one year old. (Brighton, Nov. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
8. No.3 Mr. Kemp's Ram, No. 4 W. Famcomb's Ewe, each one year old. (Brighton, N. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
9. Mr. John Hamshar's Ram & Ewe, three years old. (Brighton, Nov. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
10. No. 7. Mr. J. Ellman's Ram two year old. No. 8. Mr. J. Hamshar's Ram three year old, both Flock Rams. (Brighton, N. 15 1799 by E. Scott).
Extremely Rare. OCLC locates just one copy (British Library, UK) and it is unclear from the record whether or not the plates are hand-colored.
Edmund Scott (1758-1815?) Engraver and draughtsman. There are several of his portraits in the National Portrait Gallery (London, UK), including those of James Sadler, Thomas Sheridan, John Howard, King George IV, King William IV, etc., etc.