The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart. FORE-EDGE PAINTING, Sir Walter SCOTT.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.

The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart.

Edinburgh: Printed for Arch. Constable and Co., 1822. Item #04889

Two Fine Early-to-Mid Twentieth Century Fore-Edge Paintings
Depicting Two Scottish Castles

[FORE-EDGE PAINTING]. SCOTT, Sir Walter. The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott, Bart. [The Lady of the Lake [&] The Bridal of Triermain [&] Harold the Dauntless]. Edinburgh: Printed for Arch. Constable and Co.

Each volume with a fine early-to-mid twentieth century fore-edge painting depicting Craigmillar Castle in Edinburgh and Loch Leven Castle.

Two octavo volumes (6 1/2 x 3 7/8 inches; 166 x 99 mm.). [iv], [1-9], 10-380; [iii-vi], [1-3], 4-384, [1], [1, blank] pp.
Some light water-staining to preliminary and final leaves.

Full contemporary dark blue straight-grain morocco, front and back covers with elaborate gilt vignette. Spines with four raised bands, decoratively tooled and lettered in gilt in compartments, decorative gilt turn-ins, gray end-papers.

Volumes IV & V of The Poetical Works of Sir Walter Scott.

"The Scene from the following Poem is laid chiefly in the vicinity of Loch-Katrine, in the Western Highlands of Perthshire. The time of Action includes Six Days, and the transactions of each day occupy a Canto."

These two volumes were sold in 1965 by Dawson's Book Shop in Los Angeles (Catalog 355, item 113).

Craigmillar Castle is a ruined medieval castle in Edinburgh, Scotland. It is three miles (4.8 km) south-east of the city center, on a low hill to the south of the modern suburb of Craigmillar. The Preston family of Craigmillar, the local feudal barons, began building the castle in the late 14th century and building works continued through the 15th and 16th centuries. In 1660, the castle was sold to Sir John Gilmour, Lord President of the Court of Session, who made further alterations. The Gilmours left Craigmillar in the 18th century, and the castle fell into ruin. It is now in the care of Historic Environment Scotland as a scheduled monument. Craigmillar Castle is best known for its association with Mary, Queen of Scots. Following an illness after the birth of her son, the future James VI, Mary arrived at Craigmillar on 20 November 1566 to convalesce. Before she left on 7 December 1566, a pact known as the "Craigmillar Bond" was made, with or without her knowledge, to dispose of her husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley. Craigmillar is one of the best-preserved medieval castles in Scotland. The central tower house, or keep, is surrounded by a 15th-century courtyard wall with "particularly fine" defensive features. Within this are additional ranges, and the whole is enclosed by an outer courtyard wall containing a chapel and a doocot

Loch Leven Castle is a ruined castle on an island in Loch Leven, in the Perth and Kinross local authority area of Scotland. Possibly built around 1300, the castle was the location of military action during the Wars of Scottish Independence (1296–1357). In the latter part of the 14th century, the castle was granted by his uncle to William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas, and remained in the Douglases' hands for the next 300 years. Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned here in 1567–68, and forced to abdicate as queen, before escaping with the help of her gaoler's family. In 1588, the Queen's gaoler inherited the title Earl of Morton, and moved away from the castle. It was bought, in 1675, by Sir William Bruce, who used the castle as a focal point in his garden; it was never again used as a residence.

Price: $1,800.00